How To Make Iron Pipe Shelves
Building iron pipe shelves is a great way to add an industrial feel to any room without breaking your wallet. Making industrial iron pipe shelves can be done in an afternoon and can be mounted just about anywhere.
There are a lot of options when creating iron pipe shelves so for this project. We are focusing on an easier pipe and wood shelf design. For our project we created two 3′ shelves so we were able to use an 8′ plank. You can of course use any size boards however we recommend using a 10″ x 2″ plank for design and stability. We finished our wood with the Rust-Olium Dark Walnut finish for a nice deep brown color. You can use any stain color to match your style.
Buy Iron Pipe From Amazon.com
When shopping for the materials you can pickup everything at a local hardware store, however we had found the iron pipes were almost half the price online at Amazon.com than it was at our local hardware store. The flanges were $12 at the store opposed to less than $5 online.
Materials For Iron Pipe Shelves:
- 10″ x 2″ plank of wood. (Length depends on shelf length)
- 4x 1/2″ Black Iron Flanges – Buy on Amazon.com
- 2x 1/2″ 2.5″ Black Iron Nipples – Buy on Amazon.com
- 2x 1/2″ 4.5″ Black Iron Nipples – Buy on Amazon.com
- 2x 1/2″ 90 Degree Black Iron Elbows – Buy on Amazon.com
Below is a list of the building materials and other accessories you may need while building your shelves.
- Tape Measurer
- Sand Paper (80 Grit and 220 Grit)
- Drill and Bits
- Paint Brush
- Staining Rags
- Drywall Anchors and Screws
We also recommend wiping the iron pipe down with a rag to remove excess oils.
Leave a Reply